ID Location - 87 -
- Name:Pilate’s House
Name (Cartographic Ref.):Casa de Pilatos
Owner:Fundación Casa Ducal de Medinaceli
GPS Coordinates (Latitude):37°23′24″N
GPS Coordinates (Longitude):5°59′14″O
Address:Plaza de Pilatos, 1
Contact:Sevilla Film Office
Phone:(+34) 95 547 1032
Email:Other Contact (Skype, Fax ...):Fax: (+34) 95 547 1034
Description:This palace in Seville (Andalusia) was created in the last quarter of the 15th c., born out of the union of the Enriquez and Ribera families. Throughout the 16th, as a result of the close relations that the most relevant of the family members maintain with Italy, it goes through deep transformations and it plays an essential role in the introduction of the new Renaissance taste in Seville. Its singular appearance is completed by new Romantic reforms executed in the 19th c., leading to its harmonious synthesis of Gothic-Mudejar, Renaissance and Romantic styles.
Climate:Seville's climate is Mediterranean, slightly continental, with variable rainfall, dry and very warm summers, and mild and often rainy winters, which account for more than half of the annual rainfall.
Historical Period:14th-16th centuries
State of Conservation:In good state
Geographical Environment:Located in the historic center of Seville, in the most decumano of the Roman city, on the border of the medieval Jewish quarter and just a ten minute walk from the Alcazar core-Cathedral, the House of Pilate id the private residential largest and most sumptuous in the city.
Level of protection:Complete Monumental Protection
Filmed Productions:‘Lawrence de Arabia’ (‘Lawrence of Arabia’; David Lean, 1962)
‘1492, la conquista del Paraíso’ (1492: the conquest of paradise’; Ridley Scott, 1992)
‘El reino de los cielos’ (‘The kingdom of heaven’; Ridley Scott, 2005)
‘Noche y día’ (‘Knight and day’; James Mangold, 2009)
‘El Caballero Don Quijote’ (Manuel Gutiérrez Aragón, 2002)
‘Harem’ (William Hale, 1986)
'Olé' (Carlo Vanzina, 2006)
‘Rosa y negro' (‘Rose et noir’; Gérard Jugnot, 2009)
Historical-Cultural Context:The origin of its name, Casa de Pilatos (Pilate’s House), comes from the reenactment of the Stations of the Cross, which began to take place in the city in the 1520s (there is a series of tiles that represent each of the stations that remains). Initially it was held in the chapel, inside the house itself. In 1529, due to the substantial increase of people taking part in the penitence, it was decided it should start at the door of the building, which came to be considered the first station to be completed in the temple of the Cruz del Campo, and following events of Christ's carrying of the cross.